Thursday, November 16, 2006

Airport security

Yesterday, I had to go through the “new and improved” airport security. After the recent scare, security is extremely cautious about liquids and gels. This tighter regimen requires that passengers store all of these items in quart-sized Ziploc bags. Flustered by this new routine, I completely forgot about the sample mascara my grandmother had given me that I had stashed in my purse. Don’t worry though, security found it! My forgetfulness was an act worth reprimanding. I was allowed to keep the mascara after placing it safely in my Ziploc. What was most curious about my experience, however, was that security not once mentioned the tennis racquet I was brining as one of my two carry-ons. In our new world of anti-terrorist fear, has make-up been placed on a higher pedestal than a racquet? Perhaps in the liquid bomb scare, security has forgotten the original weapons. And how effective are plastic bags for containing these bombs?

No comments: